Weller Lake, Weller Lake Trailhead, Aspen - Snowmass, Colorado
Weller Lake - .9 miles
Weller Lake Trailhead
|Round-Trip Length:||.9 miles (add .6 miles roundtrip to reach open shore)|
|Start-End Elevation:||9,363' - 9,555' (9,652' max elevation)|
|Elevation Change:||+192' net elevation gain (+407' total roundtrip elevation gain)|
Weller Lake - .9 Miles Round-Trip
Weller Lake (9,555') is located .45 miles from HWY 82 in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness. It occupies a rocky basin fed by drainages on the slopes of New York Peak (12,811') and Mt Shimer (12,340').
This short trail crosses the Roaring Fork River and winds through a mixed aspen-pine forest to the basin (.45 miles). Here it fades amid rugged terrain, but established social trails rise above the lake's east side and drop to the open inlet area (.75 miles).
This last segment braids in many places, but all lead to the same place and navigation is intiutive with the lake in sight. Weller Lake is ideal for families and anglers, and typically accessible by late spring through early winter. Autumn colors are quite good, with especially nice views of aspen-covered slopes along the the Highway 82 - Roaring Fork Valley.
Interactive GPS Topo MapKey GPS Coordinates - DATUM WGS84
- N39 07.177 W106 43.330 — 0.0 miles : Weller Lake Trailhead
- N39 07.092 W106 43.264 — .3 miles : Cross bridge over gulch
- N39 06.999 W106 43.271 — .45 miles : Reach edge of lake basin
- N39 06.873 W106 43.220 — .75 miles : Open SE side of Weller Lake (9,555')
- The Collegiate Peaks Wilderness Area covers over 167,000 acres and touches three National Forests: White River, Gunnison and Pike-San Isabel.
Camping and Backpacking Information
Weller Lake Campground:
There are 11 first-come, first-served campsites at Weller Lake Campground, located 7.7 miles from Original Street in downtown Aspen on the north side of Highway 82. There is a nightly fee and maximum stay. Sites fill quickly in the summer due to proximity with Aspen.
- Dispersed backcountry camping is permitted in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness. No fee or permit is required.
- Camping is prohibited within 100' of any trail, lake or stream. Group size is limited to 15 individuals (or 25 with people + stock).
- Due to heavy use, campfires are not permitted at Weller Lake. Stoves Only.
- Campfires are otherwise permitted in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness. Campfires are not permitted above or within .25 miles (440 yards) of treeline, or within 100' of any trail, lake or stream. Seasonal and location-specific restrictions may also apply.
- Contact the Aspen Ranger District (970.925.3445) or Sopris Ranger District (970.963.2266) for the latest weather, trail conditions and trail-specific guidelines when planning your trip.
- Fishing is permitted at Weller Lake and on the Roaring Fork River with a valid Colorado fishing license. Contact the Colorado Division of Wildlife or the Aspen | Sopris Ranger Stations to learn more about potential restrictions and limits on the Roaring Fork.
Rules and Regulations
- Dogs must be leashed at all times in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness.
- Due to heavy use, campfires are not permitted at Weller Lake. Stoves only.
Directions to Trailhead
Weller Lake Trailhead is located 7.6 miles east of downtown Aspen on Highway 82.
From Original Street in Aspen, turn east on Highway 82 toward Independence Pass and travel 7.6 miles to the turnoff on your right. The lot is marked by a brown sign that comes up quickly just after the first single-lane section of Highway 82.
Aspen Ranger District
806 West Hallam
Aspen, CO 81611
Sopris Ranger District
620 Main Street
Carbondale, CO 81623
White River National Forest
900 Grand Ave.
P.O. Box 948
Glenwood Springs CO 81602
970.945.2521 | 970.319.2670