Boulder Falls, Boulder Falls Trailhead, Boulder - Denver - Golden - Fort Collins - Lyons, Colorado
Boulder Falls - 0.3 miles
Boulder Falls Trailhead
|Round-Trip Length:||0.3 miles|
|Start-End Elevation:||6,965' - 7,045' (7075' max elevation)|
|Elevation Change:||+80' net elevation gain (+117' total roundtrip elevation gain)|
Boulder Falls - 0.3 Miles Round-Trip
In 1914, local banker Charles G. Buckingham donated 5 acres of mining claims to the City of Boulder, "saving this beautiful spot from the encroachment of the great tungsten boom". Boulder Falls is located within this claim, a voluminous cascade marking the confluence of North Boulder Creek with Middle Boulder Creek.
The short trail leads through a high-walled side canyon to the base of Boulder Falls, where North Boulder Creek plunges approximately 70' over a granite lip into Middle Boulder Creek. The water is swift, and visitors are encouraged to remain on the designated trail and keep a safe distance from flowing water.
Interactive GPS Topo MapKey GPS Coordinates - DATUM WGS84
- N40 00.274 W105 24.374 — 0.00 miles: Boulder Falls Trailhead
- N40 00.328 W105 24.396 — 0.15 miles: Boulder Falls
- "Picture Rock" is a large gray boulder located just next to the trailhead sign at Boulder Falls. The rock is appropriately named for the large round hole that famously frames the faces of visitors in photos. The rock eroded naturally, and was hauled up from Boulder Creek in the 1940s.
- Boulder Falls is a popular destination and can become very crowded. Arrive early to secure parking and avoid crowds.
- Visitors are required to stay on the main path that ends at a viewpoint just below the falls. The areas is patrolled, and violations will result in a ticket.
- While the trail itself is not difficult, wet rocks and swift water create hazardous conditions. Several people have perished at Boulder Falls due to poor decision making.
Camping and Backpacking Information
- Camping is prohibited at Boulder Falls.
- Fishing is permitted at lower Boulder Falls. State fishing regulations apply.
Rules and Regulations
- From May 1 until October 31, Boulder Falls is open from dawn to dusk. Boulder Falls Trail is closed from November 1 through April 30.
- No overnight camping is permitted, and there are no public facilities at Boulder Falls.
- All rules and regulations are strictly enforced, and state law prohibits the possession of alcohol greater than 3.2%. Glass is prohibited.
- Rock or artifact collecting is strictly prohibited.
- Swimming or wading is strictly prohibited.
- Littering will be prosecuted.
Directions to Trailhead
The Boulder Falls Trailhead is located 8 miles west of Boulder in Boulder Canyon. From Boulder, take Canyon Blvd west 8 miles from the mouth of Boulder Canyon (just past the Boulder County Justice Center). The trailhead is on the right hand side of the road, however, the parking area is on the left hand side of the road. Please use caution in crossing the road from the parking area to the trailhead.
City of Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks
P.O. Box 791
Boulder, CO 80306