Icicle Ridge Overlook Trail, Icicle Ridge Trailhead, Seattle: Alpine Lakes Wilderness - Snoqualmie Pass - Central Cascades, Washington
Icicle Ridge Overlook Trail - 5.5 miles
Icicle Ridge Trailhead
|Round-Trip Length:||5.5 miles|
|Start-End Elevation:||1,222’ – 2,944’ (2,960 max elevation)|
|Elevation Change:||1,722’ net elevation gain (+1,850’ total roundtrip elevation gain)|
Icicle Ridge Overlook Trail - 5.5 Miles Round-Trip
The Icicle Ridge Overlook Trail climbs steady, well-maintained switchbacks up the north end of Icicle Ridge to great views over the Leavenworth area. It traverses open pine and fir forests which typify the drier east side of the Cascades, and provides useful perspective on recent burns and the fire recovery cycle. This sunny ridge is particularly attractive in early summer when blooms peak.
The trail heads north from Icicle Creek Road on a gentle climb through open ponderosa and Douglas fir stands interspersed with big leaf maple. It switchbacks several times and continues up through through thimbleberry, lupine and arrowleaf balsamroom. Watch for patches of poison ivy in this vicinity.
Steady climbing opens to views over Leavenworth and the confluence of Icicle Creek and the Wenatchee River (1.0 miles : 1645') before bending west toward a deep wooded ravine below a large burn area.
Steep climbing resumes through the open burn (1.5 miles : 2,050') to the crest of Icicle Ridge and a major junction (2.5 miles : 2,878').
The left fork continues 7.7 miles up the crest of Icicle Ridge to the Fourth of July Trail, which drops sharply for 5.3 miles into Icicle canyon. The right fork rolls gently for .25 miles to an open knob and overlook on the north end of the ridge (2.75 miles : 2,944').
Here you'll have good views over Tumwater Canyon (left), the town of Leavenworth and east down the Wenatchee River.
- N47 34.120 W120 40.856 — 0.0 miles: Icicle Ridge Trailhead - 1,222'
- N47 34.388 W120 40.850 — 0.6 miles: Trail climbs gently to the north - 1,443'
- N47 34.564 W120 40.819 — 1.0 miles: Switchback up open hillsides - 1,645'
- N47 34.596 W120 40.971 — 1.5 miles: Trail bends west - enter burn area - 2,053'
- N47 34.611 W120 41.199 — 2.0 miles: Agressive ascent through exposed area - 2,423'
- N47 34.659 W120 41.425 — 2.5 miles: Reach crest of ridge - Turn right - 2,878'
- N47 34.769 W120 41.207 — 2.75 miles: Icicle Ridge Overlook - 2,944'
- This trail is packed with wildflowers, including purple lupine and mountain sunflower – arrowleaf balsam root – early in the season, usually during May.
- Check for ticks after hiking this trail and bring plenty of water and sun protection.
- This is a great trail, convenient to town, for exploring the vicinity of Leavenworth and Tumwater Canyon from above.
- Note that the last mile and a quarter climb steeply, gaining nearly a thousand feet.
- Watch for mountain bikes descending the trail from above.
Camping and Backpacking Information
- Backcountry camping is allowed and established sites can be found high along the crest of Icicle Ridge. The nearest campground is the Eightmile Campground below Icicle Ridge in Icicle Canyon. The Tumwater Campground is currently closed due to the 2014 wildfires.
- There is no fishing along this trail.
Rules and Regulations
- The Northwest Forest Pass is NOT required at this trailhead.
- Self-register at the trailhead (free).
- Hiking, biking, and horseback riding are permitted on this trail.
Directions to Trailhead
The Icicle Ridge Overlook Trail is located 1.3 miles off Highway 2 in Leavenworth, Washington.
From Highway 2 (Stevens Pass Highway) entering the town of Leavenworth from the west, turn right (south) onto Icicle Creek Road. Proceed 1.3 miles and look for a small brown sign on the right reading Icicle Ridge Trail. Turn right at the sign, then an immediate left at a T. Continue a hundred yards to the parking area.
The parking area has room for 15 cars and does not have bathrooms.
Wenatchee River Ranger District
600 Sherbourne Ave.
Leavenworth, WA 98826
Reference: Trail #1570