Doudy Draw Trail to Flatirons Vista Trailhead, Doudy Draw Trailhead, Boulder - Denver - Golden - Fort Collins - Lyons, Colorado
Doudy Draw Trail to Flatirons Vista Trailhead - 6.8 miles
Doudy Draw Trailhead
|Round-Trip Length:||6.8 miles|
|Start-End Elevation:||5,670' - 5,925' (6,112' max elevation)|
|Elevation Change:||+255' net elevation gain (+647' total roundtrip elevation gain)|
Doudy Draw Trail to Flatirons Vista Trailhead - 6.8 Miles Round-Trip
The Doudy Draw Trail runs along the transition zone between the Eastern Plains and Rocky Mountain upslope, an area with great ecological, geological and topographical range. Here plant and wildlife communities from each meet, creating one of the most diverse biological communities in Colorado.
This versatile 4-season trail passes through open mesas and grasslands east of the Boulder Flatirons and mouth of Eldorado Canyon. Hikers, runners, cyclists and equestrians will enjoy good trail conditions, mild grades and numerous connections for longer routes:
The Doudy Draw Trail heads south from the parking area on a wide, graded path to the Community Ditch Trail split (.45 miles : 5,765'). In .6 miles the trail bends SE by a low ridge looking down on the Community Ditch.
This riparian corridor supports wild plum, chokecherry, hawthorn and hackberry, which can also attract bears. The trail rises to the Spring Brook Trail split (1.2 miles : 5,958'), drops, veers left at an unmarked spur (1.35 miles) and crosses the ravine (1.4 miles : 5,935').
It continues south up the ravine's west-face to a sharp haripin north with views across the Front Range and Eldorado Canyon (1.7 miles : 6,055') . The trail levels off at the Flatirons Vista North-South Trail split (2.2 miles : 6,105'). Turn left (east) on the Flatirons Vista North Trail.
Travel eases on a service road across a flat, sparsely treed mesa. Pass through a cattle gate and drop to another at the first of two connections with the Prairie Vista Trail (3.1 miles : 5,980'). Bear left and remain on the service road, which glides down to the Flatirons Vista Trailhead on Highway 93 (3.4 miles : 5,925').
For a longer route between the Doudy Draw and Flatirons Vista Trailheads, use the Flatirons Vista South and Spring Brook Loop trails. The Flatirons Vista South Trail adds approximately 1.3 miles to the one-way distance by taking a more circuitous course across the mesa. The Spring Brook Loop Trail adds 2.8 miles (roundtrip), an easy excursion that circles the base of Eldorado Canyon.
Interactive GPS Topo MapKey GPS Coordinates - DATUM WGS84
- N39 56.279 W105 15.392 — Doudy Draw Trailhead
- N39 55.916 W105 15.408 — .45 miles : Community Ditch Trail junction
- N39 55.439 W105 15.583 — 1.2 miles : Spring Brook Trail junction
- N39 55.376 W105 15.310 — 2.2 miles : Doudy Draw - Flatirons VistaTrail junction
- N39 55.417 W105 14.342 — 3.1 miles : Prairie Vista Trail junction
- N39 55.458 W105 14.133 — 3.4 miles : Flatirons Vista Trailhead
- You may encounter free-range cattle on the Flatirons Vista Trail. With limited room to maneuver at times, you may simply have to wait for them to clear. Exercise patience and common sense if confronted.
- Wide tracks with mild, groomed grades are well-suited for running and winter recreation.
- Respect private property boundaries and areas closed to protect ground-nesting birds. Dog owners should be mindful of specific leash laws on sections of this trail.
- The first .4 miles leading to the picnic area and privy are wheelchair accessible.
Directions to Trailhead
The Doudy Draw Trailhead is located 1.8 miles west of State Road 93 on Eldorado Springs Drive. It's on the left hand side (south), across the street from the South Mesa Trailhead.
Directions from Boulder
Take Broadway south out of town, where it will turn into State Road 93. Continue on State Road 93 until you reach Eldorado Springs Drive. Turn right and continue west for 1.8 miles. The Doudy Draw Trailhead will be on the left.
City of Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks